Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Things I've Never Done #4

Stand on a stage. In front of an audience.

Yes please.

The more I think about things I have never done, the more I realize, these things happen every single day. In the past few weeks I have: assisted in a police break in, raced a sprint tri, tried new restaurants, worn new outfits, stayed in new houses, taken ferry rides, won an award and done this and that ... all which I had never done before. But like I said, these are things that just happen.

A few weeks back I was approached about leading a warm up at the annual school race. Without hesitation, I said, "YES!" and started to think about what I might do. No surprise to me, that I waited until the night before to look up a routine and make a playlist. Don't do that. Don't wait till the night before.

I decided to go with Lesley Patterson's 10 minute warm-up as not only was it perfect in terms of timing, but she is a badass Xterra WorldChampion as well. So the night before the race I made a playlist while half-watching House of Cards. I decided I would take 10 songs and listen to the first minute of each. So I listened to the first minute of each song to make sure they were appropriate.

Playlist done.

The morning of the race, I set off the alarm of another car in our garage and couldn't turn it off. 6:00am on Sunday morning and an obnoxious horn honking from the garage. Sorry neighbours! That one event could have predicted how my day was going to go. I arrived early and got set up. A headset microphone. I don't even know if that's what it's called, but I had one. I plugged in my iPhone and called over the eager race runners and explained the warm-up.

Song one. This was fun. A blast. Though I was getting tired. Or warmed up? That's what I told everyone that was starting to sweat just minutes in.

Well it was drill number 3 (High Knees) and I really liked the cadence of the song (Slam the Door) I had chosen. I decided to used the same song for drill number 4 as well (Butt Kicks). 1:22 in I thought I heard something questionable, but hell, the loud speakers drowned out any questionable profanity. Until 1:33 ... did I hear what I thought I heard?

Loud Speakers. School Race. Admin. Parents. Co-Workers.

SHUT THE F&%KING DOOR!

Yep. That's what the music screeched out to the crowd. It wasn't confirmed until a little bit later that that's what was heard, but it happened. And it wasn't supposed to. What are the chances that the one song I play for two minutes had that line in it. 

I loved leading the warm up and I loved being on stage. I was comfortable and to be honest - I want more of it. 

You got a gig - sign me up- Promise to triple check my playlist. Unless profanity is your thing: This perhaps!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this great information from your blog. Some days ago I got a nice blog for Best Backfire Longboard .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damien Greer Lawyers have a reputation for excellence in the family law field and is one of the state's leading law firms in Brisbane.
    Read More

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are a firm of Family lawyers providing separated people with more sustainable and better divorce outcomes. Speak to a Divorce Lawyer today
    browse this site

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brisbane-based family lawyers that can help you through separation, divorce, property settlement and other matters. Fixed price first consultation.Click To read More

    ReplyDelete
  5. Australian law firm with expertise in insurance law, construction law and property law. We provide first-class legal advice
    Visit My Website

    ReplyDelete