Sunday, March 6, 2016

Things I've Never Done #3


I've never written an open letter. Until now. 

An Open Letter To the People Who Live in Top-Ranked Cities but Who Request that People Stop Moving There,

I tried to get the salutation down. I really did. Twice in the past few months I have read a Facebook status update, “please don’t move here” with an article that reads, “Why My City is the Best!” (or something to that end) attached.

I met both of you while you lived and worked abroad. I don’t want to engage in online banter, but do wish to express why this might (and did) offend.

People these days live in different cities, and different countries other than their birth city. They just do. As you did. It is likely that some (maybe most) of your friends are/were transplants at some point in their lives and you may not have met these great people had they not left familiarity and security behind. Likewise for the lucky people who got to meet you while you lived abroad. I am one on those people and I truly mean that.

Unless you are a property owner, you don’t own land in your city. Therefore you don’t have claim to the geographical turf you speak of.

That being said, the “geographical turf” is probably more expensive now that all of these people have moved in. That stinks. Truly. But it’s a by-product of your space being so rad. You got to be born there (not your choice - lucky you). You got to grow up there (not your choice - lucky you).

And I bet your parents taught you to share. So do that. Open your arms to your groovy space and – chances are, there is enough of it. We are not talking about densly populated cities here. You'll probably ... well ... make more friend.

We are free to move. I don’t think I need to explain this one. Or maybe I will. We live in a free country (I am writing to our Canadian and US friends here) and one of the many privileges we have (just by being born there) is that we are allowed to move.  Do you really deny people of that? Deny yourself of that?

Asking people not to move to your city is like throwing a life party (in an awesome venue) but keeping your door closed to all the people you haven’t met yet. Can you imagine? If you were told you would only meet passerby’s from now on. Tourists. Cause no one was allowed to move in – and no one was allowed to leave.  I guess I wouldn’t be so bad if there were rivers made of chocolate and Oompa Loompas.

Transplants probably brought a lot of flavor to your city. All those cafes, studios, the hand-crafted jewellery, the restaurants, the classes in the park, the artwork. I am sure it wasn't all the locals. And I am sure they are grateful to have a great place to call home. 

Last, but not least. Your cities are rad for a reason. One of them is that they are home to good people. When you ask people not to move there, we hear “You’re not good enough for us."  Or worse, "We don’t like you unless you are one of ours.” We are telling ourselves those stories too often already. No need to push us away. 

With absolute love for you and your cities,
Diane

No comments:

Post a Comment