Monday, June 22, 2015

Things I Miss (and a few I don't)

Yesterday while on a run I started thinking about how much I had missed running. I took a 3 month hiatus between pregnancy and post-pregnancy. And that was just enough to make me feel like I was starting from zero. Starting from zero isn't bad at all. That led me to thinking of what else I miss in life, and more than anything, this blog is about getting back to that. Not necessarily going back, but getting back. We never get to live the life we once did, and thank God for that. Onward and upward.

This is what I miss the most these days, and in no particular order.

Friends and Family:  Coming off the wedding week in Tulum, I am missing the people who I hold near and dear, but who are not here in Mexico. I loved having my brother and his wife in Mexico, and a handful of friends from home. Having something near and dear makes you vulnerable though. Because now I miss them even more.

Riding my bike/training for a race: I haven't been on my bike since Ironman France, and that was one hell of a ride.  That was almost a year ago. When people ask me where my favorite place in the world is, I answer, "On my bike." It really doesn't matter where. Though riding out from your house is a bonus, there is something in making a day our of it. Packing up, driving off, riding, eating out (anything you want), driving home. I just signed up for a duathlon in August, so be it in my living room, or out on the streets, I will have to saddle up soon! Animo!

Emerald green mountains: Medellin had the most beautiful mountains you can imagine. From afar, they looked like velvet drapes. But once you get inside them, it's very different. There are rivers and trails, wild flowers and butterflies. The most magical mountains I have come across, belong to Colombia.

 Clean parks/streets: We have some nice parks here in Mexico. But, they are dirty. The city just put two garbage bins on the street outside our apartment, which is progress indeed, but it's still a pretty dirty city. That being said, we have the greatest climate out of anywhere I have lived.

The possibility of sleeping in: I wouldn't change my life for anything. But I do miss sleeping in. Oh, the feeling of rolling over, checking the time, and shutting your eyes again. At this point, I don't think I will ever sleep in again; but if I do, I am sure it will be glorious.

Feeling confident in driving: It's not necessarily the traffic here that scares me, but the logistics of the city. I can handle my way from A-B in my neighbourhood, but a trip out of the city, not so much.


Writing: Well, here I am. Definitely not the most intriguing post ever, but it feels good to be putting some words out here. I have kept a diary since I was a young girl, and that stopped about the time I started writing this blog. 2011(ish). I love writing. Definitely one way I can synthesize what I am feeling and go a little deeper than what thinking has me do.


Things I don't miss: hangovers, public transportation, feeling bored, writing report cards and dating.


No comments:

Post a Comment