Thursday, January 2, 2014

13 for 13

Hello Folks! I have decided to reload the blog with some photos to recap 2013. They're a mix of people, places and moments that made 2013 unique.

1.  Emerald Lake Lodge, Canada
I decided to take a trip home (to Canada) at the end of 2012/beginning of 2013.  This picture was taken just a few days into the new year.  What I loved most about this trip (aside from the amazing company) was that it taught me that I could actually survive cold temperatures, and enjoy it.  Thanks Rayna and family!


2.  Distrito Federal, Amsterdam 199, dep. 5, Mexico
You might not know it, but I am kind of a big deal.  At the beginning of the year, Ricardo mentioned that a friend was coming over to ask some questions about tritahlon for an Ap.  Well, the crew came in and I was put under the spotlight. Literally. The best part?  I had to do the interview in Spanish.  Talk about sweaty palms and bad socks.


3.  Estado de Mexico, Mexico
This little place is an abandoned old bard that Ricky P. and I found on a ride.  We were training for Los Cabos Ironman and decided to ride Ajusco several times so get some hills in.  We stumbled upon this place down the back side (tee hee hee) of the mountain and I made him stop to take some pictures.  Of course there is a whole series of us jumping in and out of the windows, but i love this picture for the simplicity factor.  When traveling, I often think, could I live here? I don't need much.
4. Los Cabos, Mexico
I love this shot. Ricky P. and I arrived in Los Cabos, checked in to our hotel and made our way to the host hotel for the Ironman.  We are race rivals and the best training buddies on the planet.  The Ironman sombrero was inaugurated in Cozumel back in 2011.  We kept the tradition alive and brought them to Cabos.  By the end of the week, we were known by our head pieces. 




5.  Sayulita, Mexico
Some of you might recognize this shot.  Later in March, I made my way to Sayulita where I met up with Imily and again, with Rayna and the family.  Imily stayed in the cutest little hotel called Petit Hotel Hafa.  There were hearts everywhere.  I love this little walkway as it's a reminder, wherever you go, go with love.



6. Sayulita, Mexico
This is Rayna.  Long time friend and wonderful person.  Rayna and her family rented this house overlooking the bay in Sayulita.  The house was amazing.  Space for plenty, an infinity pool, margaritas made by Sarah (Rayna's mom) and then she even cracked out a puzzle.  What more can a gal ask for.  Friends, beauty, fun. And great tan lines.




7. Veracruz, Mexico
Fuga de Saccrificios 1/2 Ironman relay - List/Clement
I have raced almost 100 times and only stood on the 1st place podium once before this shot.  The problem with the last one, was that there was a timing error and my first place wasn't actually a first place.  I did end up finding and becoming great friends with the real first place winner, but still.  This shot is my first ever true first place. I got to share it with a great friend, Bekah, who since ran an olympic distance, and then another 1/2 Ironman, finishing 2nd in her category.  Podiums feel good, not because you are "better than" but because you worked damn hard.  Expect to see more of these people, I am on a mission.


8. Distrito Federal, Amsterdam 199, dep. 5, Mexico
This little stinker is the best addition to our little family.  Aero has grown into a respectful, responsible teenager and she continues to shower us with love and affection.  I have learned more than a few things from this little fluffball. First, it feels good to take care of others, second, that stinky farts are really funny when they come from puppies, and that you can say a whole hell of a lot without saying anything at all.


 9.  I used to have dreams where I cut my hair off.
They were nightmares actually.  So cutting 13 inches off to donate was no small feat.  I rolled up to Jenn's house and asked if she would do it.  Not wanting to take responsibility to make my nightmares come true, she respectfully declined.  "I know someone who will!"  She said with a giddy (holy shit this is going to go down) giggle.  Within 15 minutes, her neighbor Dee was over and we were scrolling cuts.  An hour later, I had chopped 13 inches off.  It's been six months and I finally went to a proper salon over the holiday.  Do I want my longhair back, yer damn right.


10.  Meaford, Canada
Meet Arthur.  Arthur is a little fellow who was taken early from his nest by my my sisters dogs.  Uno (a 70kg black Lab) ran around with him in his jowls for a while until my sister coerced him to drop the bird by offering up a dog biscuit.  Arthur was gradefully put to rest in the trash bin.  By sunrise, a little chirping sound was heard.  Sure enough, under the lid to the garbage can was little Arthur, begging for food.  Sharon fed and cared for Arthur until he was taken to a bird refuge in the area and nursed back to health.

 11.  Tapalpa, Mexico
Meet Shonny.  It's not every day that you get to meet a role model and then have lunch, cheer them on, have a tequilla, and then get a photo.  Back in 2010 when I came back to triathlon, I did so because I wanted to race the Xterra; a cross country triathlon.  Well, Shonny won the world championships in 2010 and continues to race strong today.  We're Facebook friends now and she invited me to visit in Durango, New Mexico.  True story.

12. Tulum, Mexico
The idea to host a retreat was something that had been lurking in my mind for some time.  So when Laine and I agreed to book a place back in July, I was so excited.  Let me be fully honest. Right from the start, I questioned my level of expertise.  If I had listened to the doubts and "not good enoughs" though, this retreat never would have happened.  I thoroughly enjoyed the entire process and can't wait to host the next.


13. Puerto Escondido, Mexico
Here we have a handstand on the beach.  It's the last day of the year, I am with the love of my life and my pup, the weather is beautiful and an elderly lady is just about to ask me to teach her some arm balances.  Everything is going well, and I get to do handstands. On the beach.  I held this bad boy for what seemed like an eternity ... at least for this wave to have gone from nothing, to what is it in the picture.  Just about to crash.




This is life folks.  Enjoy the calm inbetweens.  And when it comes crashing down, which it inevitably will, just remember, enjoy the calm inbetweens.

Happiest of horizons to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment