Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Today is Full of Opportunity


I came across this sign about a year ago when disembarking in Mexico City.  It called out to me for the use of the one little/big word.


Tomorrow.

Tomorrow is full of Opportunity.”

While it’s very true indeed that tomorrow is full of possible opportunity, it is most-definitely, uncertain. 

My friend used to sing the words to “Annie” with what I always thought a little glitch.  She used to sing, “… tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow, you’re ALWAYS a day away.” 

For years, I had been singing, (and really singing, like in the shower, belting it out on the street and not even knowing I was singing it-singing it)“..tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you, tomorrow, you’re ONLY a day away.”

Until today, when I double-checked to see that I was in fact right. 

I was wrong. 

My friend had been singing it right.  She was singing the HSBC version of Annie, one of hope in the future, and I was singing the, “get there and make tomorrow your today” version.

So here’s to today: TODAY IS FULL OF OPPORTUNITY

Today is the only day that you can wake up and choose what to be, what to do who and how to manage your energy.  I read a very inspiring article today regarding the upcoming Yoga Journal Conference.  Although Pacman and I (the name I have chosen for my new prosthetic disc) will not be able to attend the conference this time, Brooke shared some bits of pieces of what she will be up to later in the month.  She doesn’t describe the details, but she asks the questions as if to offer a choose-your-own adventure experience.  And she offers to be your guide.

She describes the process of planning, and she shares her passion for the plan. 

The plan.

I don’t remember when I was introduced to this concept. But I do remember when I actually applied it. 

A similar quote has been attributed to both Winston Churchill and Dwight D. Eisenhower.

Winston Churchill said that “Plans are of little importance, but planning is essential.” and Dwight Eisenhower said that “In preparing for battle, I have always found that plans are useless but planning is indispensable.”

So while our dreams and ambitions and “opportunities” may look like they are in the distant future (sometimes so far out of reach that we stop believing their ours), the real work happens only one day of the year.

That’s today.

Make today awesome, people, and remember:

TODAY IS FULL OF OPPORTUNITY




No comments:

Post a Comment