Saturday, September 23, 2017

Let Me Know What I Can Do

"Let me know what I can do."

I have used this phrase extensively this week. I live in Mexico City. 

As the city joins hands, and hearts, and casts a wide net to catch friends, family members, and strangers - the pockets of in betweens are often met with the phrase, "Let me know what can I do?" 

Because simply put, sometimes we just don't know. 

I am still not sure where my energy and time is best spent right now, but I do know that sitting on the sideline has always made me feel powerless. And while I know it's necessary sometimes it's important you know what to do when you're called to play. 

I am inviting you all to play.

This post is about service. About being called to action. About being curious. Finding what fires you up. And not ignoring that feeling. 

Five years ago I sat in my kitchen eating soup, while it may seem like a minor detail; knowing full well my soup would go cold while filling out the application, I stopped in my tracks, got my computer and applied to be an Africa Yoga Project ambassador. My soup went cold. 

I just knew it was something I needed to be part of. Though it's taken me a very long time to achieve my fundraising goal, I have not given up, not stopped and I am reminded constantly that it feels better to be part of something than to watch from the sidelines and wonder. 

This week my energy has been diverted and my efforts have been here in my hometown. And I felt torn as to what I should be posting about, promoting and working on. 

"Let me know what I can do." 

Every one of us is a player (not that kind of player). Some are starters, some take a winning shot. Some help people, some help animals, others help Mother Earth. And some super-humas (my sisters) help all three. Be curious about what fires you up. Be it in your own back yard, or across the pond. While sitting on the sideline is sometimes necessary (and you can do a lot from there too) - this is a call to action. In the words of Margaret Mead,  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."


Photo: AYP Facebook Page

No comments:

Post a Comment