Tuesday, June 18, 2013

The People Behind the Steeple


This post is inspired by this article posted on Elephant Journal.  I was taken aback for a moment, but not anymore. Blessings in disguise my friends.

I came across it yesterday and my heart broke for a brief moment.  I didn't know that churches like these existed and my thoughts ranged from how to why to how. My busy mind has been trying to figure it out.  Figure out how this is possible.

And then I am reminded; anything is possible, and everything is possible.

This is what I have to say to Westboro Baptist Church.

Westboro Baptist.  People will start responding to you and they will stop reacting.  Simply because that’s what you are looking for.  Reactions. Shallow, superficial reactions.  Of people who are easily offended.  People like you.  Yes, people like you.

You and me, and them, US.  We are the same, and I am pretty sure God would agree.  Sadly, you have lost sight of humanity and what makes us one.  Instead, you claim to know and profess God’s preference.  Ironic that. Perhaps the most ironic of situations I have encountered in 36 years.  Thank you for that.

And thank you for much more.

Thank you for reminding us of what is virtuous, and what is not.  Thank you for reminding me that I am good, and that some people are simply … not.  Thank you for providing fuel for the saints and Samaritans to do good, and not to hide behind church walls.  Thank you for setting an example, so that our children wonder.  Thank you for taking the front line and for being authentic in your sadness and for expressing your feelings.  It’s you, who needs loved the most.  Thank you for using media to confess your message; it is quite transparent. Thank you for giving people power to rise up and do extraordinary things.  People like 5-year old Jayden Sink. Thank you for revealing the face of hate, so that we are reminded of true beauty, love.  Thank you for reminding me that hate is heavy.  So that I can unload it.  Don’t you see?  Your messages are transforming society to be and do wonderful things.  



For this and for so much more, I am grateful.

I will continue to follow your Twitter feed. It’s inspiring indeed.

Please share. 

No comments:

Post a Comment