Sunday, February 7, 2016

Things I've Never Done #1


I’ve never … made candied (aka, caramelized, crystallized) ginger.

In fact, I didn’t know there was such a thing.

I just finished reading Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert and one section inspired me so much, I am now doing things like making candied, caramelized, crystallized (and learning that I don’t know how to spell those words) ginger.

This is the first of the things I’ve never done series. And there’s going to be one each week. Until I die (or before).

Elizabeth Gilbert talks about passion, and looking for passion in such a way that makes me almost want to laugh at myself for looking so freaking hard. She using a great analogy; looking for passion to give your life purpose and flare, is like saying “all you have to do to lose weight is to be thin.”

She goes on to tell a story about a garden she was “curious” about, and from that, an idea was born.

The I’ve never project. Each week I will do something I have never done.

So here is week one.

Last week I started brainstorming ideas of things I have never done, but am curious about. In a Friday meeting, a great friend unwrapped a cookie from the wrap-mat (so adorable) and another friend inquired. What is in that cookie?

Converstation led to one special ingredient, candied ginger. Which is not readily available to buy here in Mexico City. So, I announced, I will make it.To which they cheered, YOU'VE NEVER DONE THAT!

Little did I know what this would entail.

I Googled the recipe and it seamed quite simple.

Buy ginger, peal it with a spoon, boil it … and then I could have sworn it said bake it. 

 So I baked it … and we took Cami and Aero for a walk.

I could smell burnt ginger and white sugar from the street. And had a mild heart attack thinking that this might be the second house I put up in flames.

Deflated and scraping the pan, I asked Ricardo, “should I try again?” And so I was back at the grocery store, back peeling ginger (with a spoon) back boiling it … and questioning whether I should try baking it again.

I heated up the oven, scraped the soft sugary ginger on the pan, and put it in.

Meanwhile ... Cami was being all cute. 

Voila.

Candied Ginger.


I’m sure there is a lesson to be shared here – but I don’t wish to elaborate. Got a baby bag to prepare, 100 handstands to do and a football game to see. 

Thanks Elizabeth Gilbert. One down, a whole buch to go. 

No comments:

Post a Comment