Sunday, June 1, 2014

Great Doesn't Trump Great


I cried for hours on Friday night. Straight, relentless, tears.  They rendered me speechless, unable to form sounds other the choking breaths between syllables.  I haven’t had tears like that in a very long time.  Years in fact. 

I was mad.  I was angry. I pointed fingers.  I justified my position. I buried my head in a pillow.  I cried. 

For a year I have sat patiently on a fundraising dream.  Believing that my school, The American School here in Mexico was the “perfect place” for Africa Yoga Project to thrive, and vice versa. A “perfect project” for the school. 

My perfect wasn't perfect after all.  It was not picked up by the school and I felt winded.  This little dream of fundraising with the kids – over before it ever began.

So. I. Have. Taken. Some. Of. My. Own. Advice.

(and much advice of others, thank you Sam, Amy and Ricardo who caught me at my worst).

Time to get my own voice back.  This is the advice I would give to others … and now I am letting it boomerang right back.

Sometimes you have to take a step back to spring forward

Oh that closed door. That’s all it is, a closed door.  No slap in the face. No people plotting against you. No injustice.  Just a closed door.

Bad days.  If this is your greatest struggle in life, you are very lucky.

This is creativity knocking.  Open the door, get out the paint brush. Make shit, and make shit happen. 

You lost to goodness. One great thing doesn’t trump another.

Cry. Then get up and lift your chin up.  Literally, lift your damn chin, UP.

So. Here I am again.  Onward and upward.  Bringing Africa Yoga Project with me. Everywhere I go.

Cause, it’s in my heart. Not in a school, not in a box, not on a website.  
 

It's in my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment