Monday, January 2, 2012

New Years Ditch List


These are some of the New Years Resolutions that I have made in the past: learn how to play the guitar, stop posing for pictures, work on my posture, cut down on drinking.  
  • I have banked about 15 guitar tunes that I can barely scratch through 
  • I definitely pose for pictures
  • I am conscientious of my posture (when I remember to be) 
  • I have indeed cut down on my drinking (these holidays not included!)


This year I am mixing up the recipe.  I may not seem like I have a lot going on in my life at the moment, but I assure you, getting the pieces in the right place is all-consuming.  On one hand, I am starting from scratch, new city, new friends, new streets, new weather (it’s 12 de-f&*kin-grees today), new space.  On the other hand, wherever we go, there we are.  Isn’t that the name of a book?   Bottom line: I have 35 years of baggage too.  For 2012, (The year of the Dragon) I have decided to make a *SMART Ditch List instead.  This is an effort to simplify, instead my regular, “to clutter”  AKA “to do” list. 


THE DITCH LIST 

To Ditch
Specific
Measurable
Action based
Reasonable
Time-bound
The habit of story-creating where I end up being the damsel in distress.

See Example A
When I realize I have started inventing a story about something that hasn’t happened I will snap myself back to the present and not snowball into a state of anxiety and jaw-clenching.
Daily and weekly
Let’s hope for a decrease over time!
I will give myself SBPs (snap back points) each day and mark them on a calendar (in red as to not conflict with other color coded numbers on the calendar).
Yep
I will measure this goal for 2 months and re-blog regarding progress on March 2.
My inability to communicate clearly

See Example B
When I want to say something I will think how should I frame this, and I will say it.
Score out of 10 daily for 30 days … and longer if a lot of <8s are coming up.
I will journal on this every day for 30 days.  If there is anything I would have liked to have communicated during the day, I will write it down and decide if it’s possible to take care of it immediately, or the following day.
Yep
I will start journaling tonight and continue for at least 30 continuous days 
One more bag of clothes
Ditch a bag of clothes
1 bag
Sift through clothes, pack a bag, and give it to someone who needs it, hand-to-hand.  Smile.
Yep
Deadline:  Jan. 6


Example A
Deloris and Clive were perfect for each other.  They shared the same passions, sensed each other’s feelings, and had a fun-loving relationship with loads of laughter.  One December evening, they were at the movies.  Deloris was looking forward to sharing a box of popcorn with Clive.  Clive’s family was just getting to know Deloris however, and they had previously offered their advices to Clive.  “Maybe you should each get your own popcorn that way you can each have it the way you want it.”  Their advice was given with love and affection for Clive, and was not a reflection of how they felt towards Deloris.  Clive assured Deloris of this.  Absolutely assured her.  And so the story began.  My Popcorn: Your Popcorn, By Deloris

His family might not think I am good for him.  Did I do something to give the idea that I am rude?   If I get my own popcorn, what will it be like?  Is it going to suck eating out of my own box?  Is he going to have the better popcorn and so I end up eating his?  How much does popcorn cost?  Google search “Popcorn in Groverville.”  I can afford that.  Maybe I want my own popcorn.   I haven’t had my own popcorn in a really long time.  Google search “Popcorn availability in Groverville”  There are some really great flavors.  I hate that I am looking this up.  Be cool about it.  Be cool about it.  Does he want his own box, or was he just sharing the advice. I need to make a chart.  Be cool.  (24 hours later) Googling again Do I like looking this up, or hate looking it up.  I don’t know. Am I PMSing? Why did he share it?  Why do I care?  I am really irritating myself. What does this mean?    The End.



Example B (this is an actual personal example!)
I have been so worried about my house in Brasil.  Sara, my friend who I bought with is now living there with her family.  Since June, I have had mixed feelings about my investment because I started to feel like I might not stay in Brasil.  It took me until November to actually share these feelings with Sara.  June – November. That’s ridiculous.  Sara was completely cool with my decision, and is doing everything she can to honor a win-win situation.  I worried for 6 months over NOTHING, because I was afraid.  That’s BS.

Well, I feel like I have a lot of work to do.  I am excited to get out my red pen and my new Calendar for 2012.  It’s called, “The Spirit of Place.” 

I almost bought a puzzle today.  Good thing I didn’t.  I have a great big one to work on right in front of me.  One piece at a time; and mine is as colorful as they get.  I have decided that I am a piece with no flat edges.  Instead of the puzzle I signed up for baron Baptiste's "Digital 40 Days.

Peace and OM,
Di.




 * SMART = specific, measureable, action-based, realistic and time-bound (but the acronym varies)

1 comment:

  1. D,

    A few thoughts:

    1. Does the "posed, not posed" count as a posed picture? I vote no.
    2. Pre-worrying very rarely leads to anything productive and most often, leads to crap and lack of sleep due to obsessive nocturnal ramblings.
    3. Chicks who play the guitar are hot.
    4. Chicks with good posture who play the guitar are REALLY hot.
    5. Here is my favorite quote about resolutions: "Then I wanted to be a saint, but I could not do that because I had sinful tendencies." Eduardo Galeano (those Latino dudes got it going on!)

    It was a sunny day today and I missed you a lot. Be good girl.
    Beijos,
    C

    ReplyDelete